2020. február 11., kedd

The Steps of Eger

Panorama of Eger from Bérc utca


The steps leading up the hilly slopes that surround Eger are so typical of the town. This morning I took my usual walk following the line of the former town walls. I would like to invite you to accompany me.

The first steps take me down from the King's Seat Hill to Cifra kapu tér / Square.


Following the town wall we come to Mária utca and the site of the old dam / wall on the right, the so-called "Posuerunt" that protected the town from regular flooding.  

Then we reach the St Nicholas district former home to the town's Serbs.

Mária utca

Crossing Széchényi utca, and turning left we walk up a new flight of steps leading to Vitkovics utca and the beautiful orthodox church on the left.

Steps leading to Vitkovitcs utca


Orthodox Church

Vitkovics utca follows the old town wall and this is visible if we look at the old street name signs that include the district names and numbers. The first four districts I - IV belonged to the historical town centre and the outer extremes of these districts indicate the line of the town wall.

The street leads onto the site of one of the old gates, so so called Sertekapu that led out into the gardens and vineyards close to the town centre.

Having crossed the square we come to another flight of unfortunately rather untidy steps that lead to the Tündérpart (Fairy's Bank).


As a continuation another flight of steps leads to Csiky Sándor utca.


Followed by another incline leading up Városfal utca (Town Wall Street).

You can find further details of my walk in another earlier post.

The University of Bergamo wrote a study on the town's walls that can be found here: http://www00.unibg.it/walledtowns/eger4_hun.htm

The study includes a map:



It's on days like this that I realise what a lovely town Eger is and how much I enjoy my walks. If I'm lucky I bump into my friends.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése