2020. február 9., vasárnap

Eger, Erlau, Egri, Jáger - a European story

I love living in Eger, and I have known for a long time that the town witnessed the arrival of many waves of western European settlers during it's long history.

What I learned when preparing my TedXEger talk was how important the Walloons (who originated from what is now southern Belgium) and the Bishopric of Liege had been in Eger's history. The western European traditions of winemaking in Eger were brought by them to this area, and the first bishop of Eger, according to recent research, was probably Leodvin, who was originally the bishop of Bihar. When the bishopric was divided and the bishoprics of Eger and Várad were created, he became the first bishop of Eger. He also came to Hungary with the support of the Liegois. The oldest districts of historical Eger were also inhabited by the Walloons. More in my TedXEger presentation:



Thank you to everyone who came to the talk. It is true that watching the talk on youtube is less of an experience than being at a TedX event in person - and if I am honest it was also not my best attempt - but I recommend my talk cordially to everyone. Thanks also to Eger Labor Collective House. Without their help and that of the Eger Archidiocesan Library and the Liege Museum of Walloon Life my talk would not have been possible.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése